Second Best Flour Tortilla Recipe Ever
I googled and apparently there's already The Best Flour Tortilla Recipe so I'll go ahead and take second place.
Growing up my mom would make flour tortillas on occasion, and I remember it always feeling like such a special thing. I never tried making them myself because she didn’t have an actual recipe. She would put a few handfuls of this and a few pinches of that and voila she made amazing tortillas. I finally decided to give it a go, and ya know what, it's not that hard! Mom really, you couldn't give me that recipe?!
Now I make them at least once a week. What I usually do is make a large batch and keep the dough in the fridge for the week and roll them out when we’re ready to eat them. They are best when fresh and hot! I like them with butter or even cinnamon butter.
Here’s my flour tortilla recipe. I hope you like it. It makes about 20-24 depending on the size you make.
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cups +2 TBS vegetable shortening
- 1 cup of hot water
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder
- Add the shortening, mix until crumbly
- Add water, mix until a dough ball forms
- Let it rest for about 30 minutes
- Make 20-24 dough balls and flatten
- Roll each one out until thin.
- Cook an a preheated skillet that’s on medium high heat
Let me know how they turn out for you.